||[Apr. 21st, 2006|08:42 pm]
Caer Danu Cyber Grove
Veganism makes a lot of good sense because:
1) Herds of cattle take up room. The beef industry is cutting down more rainforest so they can raise more cows for the slaughter.
2) Cattle put out a LOT of methane (a green house gas). If you don't believe me, try living next to a dairy.
3) Beef is taxed. You are supporting the fat cats in big government by eating beef.
4) Not only do cows produce lots of methane, but they also breathe up our air. By cutting down the rainforest, we are reducing oxygen production, plus raising other animals that are competing for the same air. Also, trees clean the air, so we are helping to keep the air poluted by cutting them down.
5) They do nasty things to beef. When you eat beef, you are eating formaldahyde which they add to it to give it a longer shelf life.
6) When you buy fresh veggies, you know you are buying local, because if it takes more than a couple of days to get to you, the product will rot in the trucks it's transported in.
7) Veggies are cheaper than meat, and more nutritious, not to mention more filling.
There are probably a lot of other reasons to cut meat out of your diet, but this is just what I can remember from when I did my research (15+ years ago). Some of what I said may have changed by now..